A dynamic adaptive movement program for those participants facing the challenges of special needs!
Based on the fundamental movement patterns of Gymnastics, this program can provide tremendous benefits for children with special needs. The Foundations program promotes and enhances gross motor skill development and physical fitness, and helps to increase a child's self-image and social skills. The physical activity and social interaction offered by the Foundations program can be very beneficial to the children and their families. Presented in a safe, fun, supportive manner the program allows each participant to move forward at their own pace. The Foundations program offers small class sizes and structures the class around the individual child's needs.
The benefits offered by the Foundations program can include:
Children suffering from physical impairments often have problems with motor skills in areas such as hopping, skipping and jumping. Involvement in gymnastics can help individuals develop and increase fundamental motor and physical fitness skills.
- Self-Esteem: Developing a sense of self-esteem and confidence is an important part of childhood. Children need to be involved in environments where they feel that they are contributing successfully to a group. As a result of increased confidence and positive self-image, the child's abilities in other skill areas will also improve.
- Cognitive Benefits: The hands-on aspect of gymnastics leads to cognitive skill improvement in children with special needs and allows them to discover and access strengths that cannot be challenged in a classroom or clinical setting. Gymnastics can be used as a tool for introducing and practicing self regulation and decision making, as well as allowing children the opportunity to verbally communicate and interact with peers through involvement in gymnastics.
The Foundations program offers classes to accommodate a wide variety of Special Needs including:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Developmental Disabilities
- Down Syndrome
- Sensory Integration Disorders
- Spinal Bifida
- Mitochondrial Disorders
- Speech Disorder
- Blind/Vision Impaired
- Deaf/Hearing Impaired
- and many others
- 55 minute long class, with classes available on Sundays (time depends on needs and age of participant)
- $70/month + annual $40 Gymnastics BC & LGF insurance and membership fee
- Aid/parent participation required for each athlete during the class
To get in touch with us about getting your child enrolled in our Foundation program, contact our Foundation Administrator!
Foundations Coordinator: Nikki Crocker (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Children who are part of our Foundations program are welcome to join in any of our other programs such as camps and Drop-In, however they must be accompanied by a parent or aid.